Wednesday 27 March 2013

Omaha, but in Courchevel

There's a place in France that I looked up called Courchevel, it seems to be well known as a fun place to go skiing as it lies knee deep in snowy white mountains. Beautiful to look at, however cold to the touch. The hotels on the other hand promise a walm and cosy place for your stay. It is then that I realise; I am a poker player, what does Courchevel have to do with poker and myself?

PokerStars have this incredible week called 'Omaha week'. I'm not one to be an expert at Omaha, and the idea of strategy? Haven't a clue. I usually turn to the game when times get hard at the old Hold'em side of things. Now you are thinking 'just get to the point!'.

I joined twitter to follow the EPT and other tournaments and PokerStars mention 5-Card Omaha and I'm mesmerised by the fact that I can start playing a different type of poker online. I ask for more information and said subject and I get a response in the shape of an easy to understand tutorial video. Now, this video not only explains 5-card Omaha, which turns out to be the same as normal Omaha but you get an extra card in the mix, it also gives you a taste of this other game called Courchevel. I can't believe my eyes. 5 cards are dealt to each player, blinds are in, hold up! What the holy mother of ice cream is this?! The first card from the flop is shown and then the first betting round takes place. All of a sudden getting to my computer and playing this game is the only thing that matters in life. 2 hours and $85 later, I am well out of my comfort zone. Courchevel is my favourite. So much so that 1 hour later I am $60 down from that. What I really do not understand is this first and second turn and river card sets that seem to occur when that special 'all in' moment occurs. I can never say that I made a loss, I won a love for a beautiful place called Courchevel.

@AntoniaChigurh

No comments:

Post a Comment